Roasted Banana Ice Cream

banana ice cream

It so happened that I had 6 ripe bananas on the counter. SIX. Ripe. I'm not really sure how that came to be because we are usually on top of the banana eating. And quite frankly, I don't even remember buying that many at one shopping trip!

Wasn't in the mood for making any carb-ilicous goody and realized we didn't have any ice cream. My kids playmates were over last week and they asked for ice cream and I had none. What a shame, it's summer and there is not a lick of the sweet frozen goodness around. I needed to fix that.

And I sure did.

I've been on an ice cream making kick around here. This is what happens when I eat healthily for a while, the body starts to crave the not-so-healthy stuff. I've never had banana ice cream before. I don't even remember stumbling upon it when I spent my years at working at Baskin Robbins.

I loved the roasting banana part of this recipe. My house smelled SO good. I wanted to eat the roasted bananas right out of the baking dish but alas, I stopped myself. The ice cream has a nice roasted banana taste and it's not too sweet. It is a bit hard to scoop into a ball, not so creamy, but it's a wonderful complement with summer fruits in a bowl.

Nice to have another recipe to use up those ripe bananas!

...

Roasted Banana Ice Cream
makes 1 liter

3 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced into small pieces
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp butter

1-1/2 cups whole milk
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt

Place the banana slices, along with brown sugar and butter, in a baking dish. Bake in the oven, uncovered, at 400F for 40 minutes, stirring once. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

Puree the roasted bananas until smooth. Add milk, sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and salt and mix well.

Chill for a couple hours or overnight. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.

Recipe adapted from: Roasted Banana Ice Cream, The Perfect Scoop

Share:

0 comments