September 27, 2007

cornmeal blini

cornmeal blini

I don't really know why this is called a "blini". Looks like a pancake to me! According to my friendly online encylopedia, blini is supposed to be a thin pancake, similar to a crepe.

I think this cookbook must be wrong because these "blini's" are far from thin like a crepe. The batter was thick and there was no way I could make it thin and crepe like. Maybe I should write a note to the editor :)

We ate these for dinner one night. I made some savory stuff to eat my blinis pancakes with. I mixed up some onions, garlic, red peppers, bacon & corn in a thickened (with cornstarch) broth. It was good, but then, bacon could probably make brussel sprouts tasty.... well, almost.

cornmeal blini-fd0000

The original recipe uses smoked salmon on top of these cornmeal blini's but I'm just not a smoked salmon type of gal. If you are, give it a try.

...

cornmeal blini
makes 24 pieces

1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
pinch pepper
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
1/4 cup corn kernals

whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, soda, salt & pepper.

In separate bowl whisk together buttermilk, egg yolk & butter. Pour over flour mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and corn. Stir just until flour is incorporated.

Heat skillet over medium heat. Use 1 tbsp batter for each corn cake and cook each side for about a minute until golden.

Recipe from: Cornmeal "Blini" with smoked salmon, The Complete Canadian Living Cookbook.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! that looks great! I have enjoyed cooking breakfast on Saturday mornings lately so I will have to give it a try.

Thanks,
http://birdfood-sharona.blogspot.com/
Sharona May

Misslionheart♥ said...

Love you blog!

countrygirlcityliving said...

Hi there!
Stumbled along and wanted to post my two cents worth.. Blini's are supposed to be thin and they are usually topped with salmon, creme fraiche & caviar. My hubby is Russian and it is a very traditional dish :) I haven't made them from scratch yet so I have no idea how they become thinner...but they are tasty! The hoisin peanut butter chicken looks incredible too.
Great blog :)

Maki said...

thankyouverymuch.

For stopping by and for your nice comments!

Amy.E said...

Looks delightful, and ahhh...from the Canadian living cookbook! That info inspired fond memories of the cookbook that first inspired me to start reading cookbooks for pleasure - my mom's 1987 Canadian Living cookbook, full of 500+ recipes and lovely photos of food and the regions of Canada from whence they came. Thanks for the memories!

Sleepynita said...

Some of my best recipies are from Canadian Living Magazine. You can make them thinner by adding a bit more buttermilk or a bit of water to the mixture, it just comes out too thick for a traditional Blini (mine are always thick too), but they are tasty! I am going to try this batch with the onions and peppers too, I have no idea why I haven't thought of that before (maybe some charred fresh corn as well)... mmmmmm

Anonymous said...

Hi Maki,

I just checked out your blog. The pictures look great!!!! I think I'll try out some of your recipies.

Take care,

Laura

Maki said...

I actually borrowed that canadian Living cookbook from the library. I might have to go back and check it out again for a bit longer :) It's a great cookbook. I do wish it had more pics though but nonetheless, great.

Hi Laura! Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails