construction scene birthday cake



My daughter's birthday will be coming up soon and I was thinking about what kind of birthday cake to make for her, taking in her suggestions. I then realized that I didn't post the last birthday cake I made.

Some months ago, my youngest celebrated his birthday. I tend to make my kids birthday cakes (that is until they prefer me not to anymore). I'm not the greatest baker or cake decorater but I give it my best shot.

Last year, he started his love for construction and that his why I made the dump truck cake. I thought as the year went on, he'd be into something else but that didn't happen. He loves construction even more.

So I came up with this idea. This was easy and he was pretty excited to see it. What spoiled kids I have. But I love doing it for them.

...

chocolate layer cake
makes 12 servings

1 cup butter, softened
1.5 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp each baking soda & baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1.5 cups buttermilk

In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time: beat in vanilla. In separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in butter misture alternately with buttermilk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of buttermilk.

Spoon into prepared pans. Either 2 greased springforms pans or 2 round metal cake pans prepared with parchment or waxed paper. **

Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes.** Cool on racks for 20 minutes. Remove and let cool completely on rack.

Cut cake horizontally into 2 layers.

** I used a 9x13 cake pan instead. You will have to adjust your baking time for longer, at least another 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Recipe from: Chocolate layer Cake, The Complete Canadian Living Cookbook.

chocolate buttercream icing:
yields 3 cups

1 cup margarine or butter
4 cups confectioners sugar
3/4 cup cocoa OR 3 - 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
3-4 Tbsp tbsp milk

Cream margarine. Add sugar gradually beating on medium speed. Icing should appear dry. Add milk & chocolate and beat until fluffy.

Chocolate Buttercream from Wilton's Decorating Guide Yearbook

Share:

6 comments