Making Linden Tea

Making Linden Tea

We have an absolutely stunning tree in our back yard. It's a 50+ year old Linden Tree. (Also called Basswood, Tilia or Lime Tree). Every year, around this time, the blossoms open up. The air is then filled with a sweet aroma flavor and if you stand under the tree, there is a strong humming sound. You look up and you will find thousands of busy bees, sucking up it's sweet nectar.

My father identified the tree for us many years ago. He says it reminds him of home, as the Linden Tree is a sacred tree for many Slavic and Eastern European countries. He spoke of the wonderful tea you can make from the Linden Tree.

I've had Linden tea before but for some reason, I never connected the tree in my backyard to the Linden tea I have drank. So I decided to harvest the fragrant blossoms and leaves. I have them drying in my basement right now and I can tell you, it smells amazing everytime I walk downstairs. Once they are dry, you just have to store them in a glass container. To make tea, crush the linden blossoms into boiling water, steep and serve.

Can't wait until they are dry and enjoy it on a cold, wintery night (that's when we do the bulk of our tea drinking around here).

Share:

3 comments