Weeknight meal - Diced chicken, broccoli with whole wheat pasta




For busy folks, I recommend baking up a large quantity of chicken breasts, one night of the week, and then using them up for weeknight meals. I do this at least once a month and that week will be "chicken monday, tuesday, wednesday and maybe thursday" nights :)

This was tonight's dinner. A quick and easy weeknight meal. I, personally, can sustain on sandwiches alone but the rest of the fam gets a little bored so I need to mix it up. Since I have been working more, I am noticing I'm boiling up pasta more often. I know pasta purists would only buy the white-flour based varieties but I am really loving the whole wheat version. If you were to compare how much more fiber there is in a serving size, you too would not go back to the white stuff for that reason alone. Makes me feel a bit "healthier".



I have also been making this bechamel sauce at least once a week this month. (Maybe not so much "healthier"). I probably "taste" half of it away before I even mix it in with the other ingredients because it is that good. Bonus part: it is ready in the same time your pasta is al dente.

Happy chicken & pasta week!

...

Other easy weeknight chicken recipes by Shine Supper Club:

The Curious Country Cook: Lemon Pesto Pasta with Chicken
Feed Your Soul: Chicken Milanese Biscuit Sandwich
In My Element: Diced Chicken, Broccoli with Whole Wheat Pasta
Living Lou: Spicy Chicken Skewers
The Partial Ingredients: Lebanese Chicken Skewers
Sarah B. Weir: Chicken Braised in Tomato
Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom: Peanut Sesame Noodles with Chicken
Serena Bakes: Jalapeno Lime Chicken Alfredo with Cilantro
So says Sarah: Healthy Baked Chicken Tenders
Sushi and Stilettos: Easy Pesto Chicken Bake
Sweet 'n' Sourdough: Baked Mango Chipotle Chicken Tenders

...





Diced chicken, broccoli and whole wheat pasta
serves 4

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
2 cups milk
1 tsp salt
pinch of ground nutmeg

200g whole wheat rotini pasta
2 cooked chicken breasts, cubed
2 cups broccoli florets

Melt butter in a frying pan, add flour, mix and cook under medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk, salt and nutmeg. Stir occasionally and cook until it thickens up, about 10-12 minutes.

Cook the whole wheat pasta per box instructions. Add the diced chicken to the sauce. Then, add the pasta and broccoli and toss until well combined. Serve.

Share:

3 comments