November 24, 2011

Weeknight meal - Diced chicken, broccoli with whole wheat pasta

Weeknight meal - Diced chicken, broccoli with whole wheat pasta

For busy folks, I recommend baking up a large quantity of chicken breasts, one night of the week, and then using them up for weeknight meals. I do this at least once a month and that week will be "chicken monday, tuesday, wednesday and maybe thursday" nights :)

This was tonight's dinner. A quick and easy weeknight meal. I, personally, can sustain on sandwiches alone but the rest of the fam gets a little bored so I need to mix it up. Since I have been working more, I am noticing I'm boiling up pasta more often. I know pasta purists would only buy the white-flour based varieties but I am really loving the whole wheat version. If you were to compare how much more fiber there is in a serving size, you too would not go back to the white stuff for that reason alone. Makes me feel a bit "healthier".

Whole wheat rotini, broccoli & diced chicken breasts

I have also been making this bechamel sauce at least once a week this month. (Maybe not so much "healthier"). I probably "taste" half of it away before I even mix it in with the other ingredients because it is that good. Bonus part: it is ready in the same time your pasta is al dente.

Happy chicken & pasta week!

...

Other easy weeknight chicken recipes by Shine Supper Club:

The Curious Country Cook: Lemon Pesto Pasta with Chicken
Feed Your Soul: Chicken Milanese Biscuit Sandwich
In My Element: Diced Chicken, Broccoli with Whole Wheat Pasta
Living Lou: Spicy Chicken Skewers
The Partial Ingredients: Lebanese Chicken Skewers
Sarah B. Weir: Chicken Braised in Tomato
Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom: Peanut Sesame Noodles with Chicken
Serena Bakes: Jalapeno Lime Chicken Alfredo with Cilantro
So says Sarah: Healthy Baked Chicken Tenders
Sushi and Stilettos: Easy Pesto Chicken Bake
Sweet 'n' Sourdough: Baked Mango Chipotle Chicken Tenders

...





Diced chicken, broccoli and whole wheat pasta
serves 4

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
2 cups milk
1 tsp salt
pinch of ground nutmeg

200g whole wheat rotini pasta
2 cooked chicken breasts, cubed
2 cups broccoli florets

Melt butter in a frying pan, add flour, mix and cook under medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk, salt and nutmeg. Stir occasionally and cook until it thickens up, about 10-12 minutes.

Cook the whole wheat pasta per box instructions. Add the diced chicken to the sauce. Then, add the pasta and broccoli and toss until well combined. Serve.
Related Posts with Thumbnails