Dried Fruit & Nut Galette

Dried fruit and nut galette
(I'm standing on a chair taking this picture. Notice my fuzzy blue slippers in the picture? tee hee!)

I love having healthier snacks for the kids so I often have a large stash of dried fruits and nuts during the fall/winter months. But sometimes, I get ahead of myself and realize that the huge volume-packed bags I bought are not moving as fast as I like and I'm not a fan of rock-hard dried fruits or rancid nuts.

So I decided it's time for a pie. Well, a "galette", which is a free-form type of pie. It's actually my favorite type of pie to make since it's easy and doesn't require 2 layers of pie dough or cutting out fancy lattice designs on top. Rolling out and folding over the edges which is super easy to do.

Dried fruit and nut galette

This recipe is drier than your usual fruit-filled pies so don't forget the vanilla bean ice cream or a large dollop of whipping cream!

...





Dried Fruit & Nut Galette
makes 1 large galette

crust:
1-3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup ground almonds
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
1/2 cup buttermilk

filling:
1.5 cup chopped dried figs
1.5 cup chopped dried dates
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup pistachios

2 eggs
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract

I make my crust in a food processor but you may do it in a bowl and use a knives or a pastry blender to cut butter.

In a food processor, mix together flour, ground almonds, sugar and salt and butter. Pulse until you get large crumbs forming. Slowly add buttermilk and pulse until all blended. Do not overmix.

Remove from processor and shape into a ball. Place it in the refrigerator, wrapped in plastic film, for about 30 minutes.

In a separate bowl, combine fruits and nut ingredients. Mix together the eggs, brown sugar, butter and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Add to the fruits and nuts and mix. Set aside.

Remove dough from refrigerator and roll out onto floured surface to about a 15 inch diameter. Transfer to parchment paper and baking sheet. Spoon the filling onto the pastry, leaving about a 4 inch border on the ends. Fold over ends atop of filling.

(Optional: I have sometimes sprinkled brown sugar atop the edges to give a nice sweetness and look to the crust)

Bake at 425F for 10 minutes, then reduce to 350F for about 45 minutes. The crust will be golden. Let cool on wire rack for about 20 minutes. Serve.

Crust recipe adapted from: Almond Buttermilk Crust: Canadian Living Market Fresh Special Issue Magazine, Summer 2008.

Share:

1 comments