Weekly Photos: Soaring Seagulls

Soaring

Last week, we went out to Miquelon Lake. It wasn't the nicest day but the kids had a blast on the beach and in and around the water. It was windy and I was cold. I wore a long sleeve and a jacket and I'm sure people were looking at me like I was insane as they ran around in their bathing suits. I did manage to get a sunburn, right atop my head! My hairline was bright red. Lovely.

I try to bring out my camera when I am heading out but I find that I don't often get to snap any pictures when I have the kids in tow. I certainly don't have time to get creative as they are always needing some sort of attention. But this time around, their cousins were occupying their time as well as the hubby was keeping an eye on them.

Seagulls Diptych

It was very windy and the seagulls were out in full force, playing in the air. They seemed to be enjoying themselves, soaring up and down with each gust of wind. And with the sun high up in the sky, the birds looked amazing being backlit. I sat and watched them for a bit, in awe at how beautiful they looked.

But I also freaked out when they got too close. I don't have a telephoto lens, so they had to get pretty close in order for me to get these shots. They were literally right above me at times. I worried that I would be their poop bullseye or that the occasional bird would accidently fly into me if the wind turned suddenly. Some of them were HUGE in size and I was afraid they would look at my fingers, thinking they were tasty french fries. I kept thinking about how much it would hurt if they bit me with their big, strong beaks. Yeah, I know... I'm weird. But I continued to snap away with my camera, keeping my fingers tucked in, just in case. You never can be too safe, youknowwhatImean.

Seagulls

But, I lucked out with the picture taking and it was worth the worrying about being in a sand-wrestling match with one. Some folks really don't like seagulls but I have a soft spot for animals and these gulls were no exception. After witnessing them dance in the air that day, I fell hard for them. I left with feelings of peacefulness and tranquility, and more importantly, all my 10 digits :)

Share:

8 comments