July 6, 2010

Arugula/Rocket Salad Greens

Rocket Salad Greens

You say Arugula, I say Rocket. Well, I say either really, especially once I learned they are in fact the same thing. Apparently, this salad green has many different aliases: Rugula, roquette and rucola. Clever really, because if someone tells you they don't like Arugula, you can serve them Rocket salad instead. HA!

I harvested these pretty leaves last week. You can easily distinguish their leaves, given their lobed appearance, very much like acorn leaves. They are quite meaty looking greens in comparison to some of their fellow green leaf varieties out there.

Rocket Salad Greens Diptych

Upon a sampling of a leaf in my garden, I was unsure if I was hooked on the flavor. It's quite a strong leafy-green flavor with a peppery bite. It actually felt like it packed some heat.

But, I tried it in a salad recipe (it will be up tomorrow) and I have to say, it's a hit around here. We've already planted another row in our garden. I love having fresh produce, right in my back yard!

6 comments:

A Canadian Foodie said...

Gorgeous shots... did you see that I had some arugula in mine, too. It goes to seed so fast and is far better young and tender. I LOVE it on top of pizza and in a salad with pear and blue cheese it really holds its own. I love it in a mix, too... but on its own in a salad it is just too bitter for me... but, otherwise, a STAR in the garden. The herbs with the leaves are so delicious. I cannot wait to see your tomatoes, too!
:)
Valerie

Junglefrog said...

I totally love rocket ( we call it rucola). It's so versatile, stands heat rather well and is just one of the tastiest greens I know! I wish I had planted them this year in the garden as I had planned to!

Maki said...

Valerie: Your post on your salad greens was so pretty. Can't believe you have such a large variety. Fantastic!

Junglefrog: First time we planted. Very much worth it.

lequan@luvtoeat said...

Those are beautiful Maki. With all these greens showing up all over the blog world, it really makes me want to have my own garden now. Must be so nice to just step out in your backyard and have veggies for dinner in a matter os minutes.

cookbookcooks said...

Arugula rocks!

Maki said...

Rocket rocks! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails