Arugula and Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese

Arugula & Lentil Salad

After having so much dessert and sweet things around the house the last while, the scale was telling me that I would be on a salad diet the next week or so.

I often go through salad cravings. I know, sounds weird. But, when I've been abusing my body with too many sweet things, I actually look forward to something healthy. They ("they" as in those scientist people, I'm guessing.) say that children self-regulate themselves to make sure they get all the nutrients they need. We as adults tend to ignore that but I definitely know that my body wants healthy after weeks of dessert binge eating.

As I mentioned in my last post, I harvested arugula salad greens from my gardens. (I like to say "gardens" - in plural- makes it sound so posh and "oh la la" when it's really several small plots in our yard! haha). I also used some of our hydroponic tomatoes from our Grow-Op. (Hey Valerie, the hydroponic tomatoes are now done - we got a large yield of red tomatoes- I lost count but I'm guessing at least 50 tomatoes of different sizes, from about 7 plants. We won't be starting up more but waiting for our outdoor tomatoes to produce.)

Arugula & Lentil Salad Diptych

Something I really enjoyed, aside from the arugula leaves, is the lentils. I think it's such a great addition to a salad. Gives the salad a bit more oomph and a nice texture and taste with every bite.

...

Arugula and Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese
serves 8-10

1/2 cup dried green lentils

3 tbsp white or red wine vinegar
3/4 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil

6 cups arugula salad greens
4 small tomatoes, diced
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup (3 ounces) goat cheese, crumbled

Cook the lentils in 1-1/2 cups water (or vegetable broth, if you prefer) for about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Combine vinegar and mustard. While whisking, slowly add in the olive oil until emulsified.

Arrange together arugula, tomatoes, red onion and lentils in a bowl. Drizzle the mustard dressing. Top with goat cheese. Serve.

Recipe adapted from: Arugula and Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese, Martha Stewart Living May 2010 Magazine

Share:

3 comments