apple crisp



When we bought our house many, many years ago, it came with two great apple trees in the yard.

At first, I was super excited. Making apple everything I could. Apple pies, cakes, apple sauce, apple crisps, you name it. Then, more and more apples kept falling and then I would start stressing. Putting cakes and applesauce in the deep freeze. I just couldn't keep up.

Now, it's like I almost hate those trees. The apples drop on the ground and the wasps and ants are all over it. As soon as I clean up the grass full of apples, the next day there is a new crop mocking me in the morning.

I appreciate the harvest but dang, I'm just too busy for them. One tree had apple maggots so we threw out a lot of them this year. That helped a lot but still... tooo much.

Next year, maybe NEXT year I'll be on top of it.

Sigh, I say that every year!


...

apple crisp
5- 7 cups of apples
lemon to prevent browning

2 cup oats
1-1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, melted

Thinly slice the apples & put them into lemon juice to prevent browning. (I usually leave the skins on but you can peel if you would like.) Then put them into a large oblong casserole dish or pan. Add cinnamon and sugar if needed to taste.

Combine in a bowl, the oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and then butter until uniform. Cover the apples with the topping and bake for 30-45 minutes at 350F or until the apples are soft and the topping is crisped.

Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

Share:

0 comments