raspberry chocolate chip bundt cake


A few weeks back, we celebrated my mom's birthday and I said I would bring the cake.

I don't like store bought cake.

Let me correct that, I don't like that usual cheap grocery store "cake" that people buy for birthdays or some other celebration, with the inch of white icing (can you really call that stuff icing?) and the no taste fluffy white sponge that is supposedly the "cake" part. I have spent my entire childhood and adulthood eating that cake at celebrations, I'm tired of it.


Thus, I've vowed never to buy those cakes for birthdays anymore. But then, that's not a hard decision, I really like to bake and it's usually very simple cakes.

My part time job, during my university years, was scooping ice cream and decorating cakes. Boy, oh boy, did I love the decorating cakes part. Mind you, it was so much easier there versus at home because we had amples of great quality buttercream made with every color available made to man and every professional tool to make it look great. Making icing rose buds at home is never quite the same, you know?

But then, I guess if I didn't like baking and decorating, I'd likely buy the fluff at the grocery store too. Ahem...


Moving along, great cake, easy to make and used up my ample raspberries reserves. Plus, I was too lazy to make the chocolate sauce for drizzling (actually, I had no cream to do it) so I used my noggin and warmed up some nutella. It was "berry" good.

And it looks very good. Here we have Miss August striking a pose. woo hoo!

...

raspberry chocolate chip bundt cake

2 pkg (300g each) frozen or fresh raspberries
3 tbsp icing sugar

3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

2-1/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp baking soda
0.5 tsp salt

1.5 cups sour cream

1 cup chocolate chips

Blend the raspberries (except for one cup reserved for later) in processor or blender, sieve if you choose and add icing sugar to make sauce. Set aside for later.

Beat butter & sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla.

In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Stir half into butter mixture. Stir in sour cream. Stir in remainder of flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.

Spread half of the batter into the prepared 10 inch bundt cake pan. Sprinkle in the 1 cup of berries and then spread the remaining batter on top.

Bake at 350F for 40 minutes. Let cool on frack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let completely cool.

Drizzle cake top with warmed nutella (as I did) or make a warm chocolate sauce of 1/2 cup chocolate chips in 1/4 cup light cream (as the original recipe calls for).

Serve with the raspberry sauce.

Recipe from "Raspberry Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake", The Complete Canadian Living Cookbook.

Share:

0 comments