Rhubarb Curd


I have bags of frozen rhubarb in my freezer, harvested from my garden.  I have made pies and crisps with the rhubarb but wanted to think of something else.

I adore lemon curd and it occurred to me that I could use rhubarb instead of lemons.  Rhubarb is quite acidic and gives way to a tangy curd.  Use it in tarts, cakes or even use as a jam in sandwiches or toast.




...

Rhubarb Curd
yields about 2 cups

2 cups chopped rhubarb, fresh or frozen
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp lemon juice

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, cut into smaller pieces.
Pink food coloring, optional

Place rhubarb and water in a saucepan over medium high heat.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until softened, about 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and add lemon juice.  Set aside.

In a bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar.  Slowly whisk in rhubarb mixture.  Return to saucepan and whisking frequently, cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes to thicken mixture.  Remove from heat and add butter pieces and mix thoroughly.  Add food coloring, if you would like. 

Allow to cool, spoon into jars and chill before using.


Share:

0 comments