Whole Wheat Pancakes - Family Central Edmonton Episode for Telus Optik Local TV



"I don't think I can do it." I say to my hubby after reading an email aloud about doing a cooking segment for television.

"Sure you can!" he replies.

"But, I'm comfortable BEHIND the camera!  Not in front of it!"

I have done several speaking presentations during my schooling as well as my various jobs.  I was nervous but never really had too much of a problem but this was in front of a camera.  I rather talk to 100 people than in front of a camera that is pointing right at me, with several people hovered around it staring at me to make sure every word is good.  Especially having to repeat lines over and over again, while trying to sound natural, because they are shooting at different angles or because they just changed a lens.


I hummed.  I hahhed. And then I decided to take the leap.  I thought about what a fantastic experience it would be.  Also, never, EVER, in my entire life thus far, would I have thought I would do anything like this!  What the heck!

So, I said YES!


Telus Optik Local, for Edmonton region, has a new show called Family Central and they were looking for a mom who could offer foods that kids would like and that were healthier and nutritious.  Who knew that my 2-3 minutes of airtime would take several hours to tape.  I was exhausted after the first segment.  Kudos to those who work in front of the camera.  Holy moly!  Did I mention they taped my segment at my home! Talk about adding more stress! Clean up crew, STAT!


I'm not going to say it was easy because it was most definitely not.  I would not say I'm a natural at it, as I was tremendously nervous, and I heard my voice waver more than once. If you know me personally, you might hear it too but I am proud of myself for doing something that I had fear and anxiety over!  Plus, I learned a lot from it and in the upcoming episodes (will post when I get links), I definitely did better which makes me really, really happy.  It was a really great and FUN experience!  Thanks for the crew and Telus Optik for giving me the opportunity and cheering me on.

Here my segment for the show.  You can see others featured in the same episode by following this LINK.


Recipe after the jump!

...



Whole Wheat Pancakes
makes 10 pancakes

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick oats
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1 large egg, beaten
1.5 cups buttermilk
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp sugar

In a larger bowl, blend together the first 6 ingredients. Create a well in the center of the ingredients and set the bowl aside.

In a medium sized bowl, combine egg, buttermilk, olive oil and sugar and whisk until all blended.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.  Mix until just blended.  Set aside for 10 minutes.

Spray a non-stick pan with vegetable spray and bring the pan to medium-low heat.  Using 1/4 cup measuring cup, spoon the pancake mixture onto the pan.  Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the edges of the pancakes start to look dry and bubble.  Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown.

Serve with honey-sweetened plain yogurt and fresh fruit.


Share:

0 comments