Roasted Tomato Soup



Hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving.  I didn't do any hosting this year but attended not one but TWO dinners!  I think I could really get used to that.  The overeating part though, can't get used to that and I have never heard anyone not say "I'm so full" after Thanksgiving dinner.  I believe it's an unwritten rule, that everyone knows but no one speaks of, that one must eat enough turkey and stuffing to potentially pop the button of their pants. Then they must have dessert after that.  The smart folks know not to wear tight pants while others, like me, hope that by wearing tight-waisted pants, I will stop once I feel pressure.  Please, don't say it, I hang my head in shame, and next year I'm wearing a large elastic-waisted skirt.

My last post I wrote about my garden harvest and today I have a recipe for you and your surplus of tomatoes:

Tomato soup.

Roasted tomato soup.

If you have good memories from your Campbell's Soup childhood days, this will obliterate them, kicking up a dust storm of red labels and tin cans. Those cute pudgy Campbell's kids will beg to never have to hear another can opener.
...


Roasted Tomato Soup
serves 4-6

4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
3 pounds (1.3 kg) of ripe red tomatoes, cut in half
2 onions, cut into quartered segments
4 garlic cloves, peeled
3 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried basil
3 cups (750 mL) water
796mL can of diced tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste

Drizzle a roasting pan with 2 Tbsp olive oil.  Place the cut side of the tomatoes onto the pan.  Spread the onions and garlic around and sprinkle with dried thyme and basil.  Drizzle the remainder of the 2 tbsp oil. Roast, in a pre-heated oven, at 425F for 1 hour or more depending on the size of your tomatoes, until they are well roasted and soft.

Remove from the oven and carefully place the contents into a large pot.  Add 3 cups of water and the can of diced tomatoes.  Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.

Using a stick blender, blend until smooth.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve.


Share:

2 comments