Honey Poached Pears

Honey Poached Pears

The onslaught of Halloween candy eating has left me feeling ill and repulsed. I sent half of the large container of chocolates to the hubby's work for other suckers folks to polish off.

While I have been doing a decent job of avoiding it, this has left me with withdrawal symptoms (ok, I can not tell a lie, I still have 1-2 pieces a day but compared to the 10-12 pieces before, the angel on my shoulder is singing the praises).

Sugar withdrawal, though, is a horrible thing. Symptoms include lethargy, agitation and undeniable determination to find the next hit.

Yes, some people would tell you that going "cold turkey" and suffering the withdrawal symptoms is the only way but I am not a "rip-the-bandaid-quickly" type of gal. There is only one way to counteract this and that would be looking for "healthier treats" to satisfy the sweet tooth.

Bosc Pears Stilllife

And what, my friend, is healthier than a piece of fruit? Sure, sure, it's poached in a delicious cinnamony-anise honey syrup but it's fruit. Nutrient-rich fruit with fiber! And honey is made by itty-bitty bees that bring good-for-you stuff from flowering plants back to their hives. Plants are good for us! Does a chocolate bar have vitamins and fiber? No, I didn't think so.

While I continue weening myself off of Halloween candy, I will enjoy my healthy fruit. (ok, I can not tell a lie. I ate the poached pears alongside vanilla ice cream).

Look, you just can't change some people. Especially non "rip-the-bandaid-quickly" type of gals.

...





Honey Poached Pears
4 servings

3 cups water
1.5 cups honey
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 cinnamon sticks
2 star anise

4 pears (I used Bosc pears)

Place the first 5 ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.

Meanwhile remove the pear skins. Leave the stems and if you would like them to sit upright on a plate afterward, slice a small amount off the bottom to create a flat surface.

Reduce the heat, add the pears to the pan, cover, and allow to gently simmer for 15 minutes. Rotate the pears a few times during the simmer so that all sides are uniformly poached.

Remove from heat and allow the pears to cool in the syrup. Serve warm.

Share:

0 comments