Caramelized Onion & Blue Cheese Phyllo Tart

Caramelized-Onion-with-blue-cheese-phyllo-tart

Growing up, my mom often using phyllo pastry, so it I am quite accustomed to it, but truthfully, I don't use it often enough myself. Thus, I pulled out a box from my freezer and was inspired to try out different fillings and techniques to use it in savory dishes. I absolutely love the flakey goodness when a phyllo pastry is brushed with butter and baked.

I had recently made my kale and feta phyllo pie and this time I had a block of blue cheese sitting in my fridge needing attention. Blue cheese is quite strong in flavor but I absolutely love it and I found that it was a nice juxtaposism to the sweet caramelized onions.

Phyllo Tart

I opted for an open tart, so that you could see the beautiful caramelized onions and filling. Usually, I try to limit frying larger amounts of onions to the weekends so that I don't have to leave the house smelling like fried onions (because you really do, trust me) but I just didn't care give a damn this time around. Feel sorry for the folks in the aisles of the grocery store that I walked past :)

...

Caramelized Onion & Blue Cheese Phyllo Tart
makes a 9 inch tart

2 tbsp oil
2 large red onions, sliced thin
1 tsp brown sugar

4 eggs
3/4 cup cream (I used 10% cream- but you can use a higher % if you prefer.)
1 cup blue cheese, crumbled


4 phyllo sheets
1/4 cup melted butter


To a large nonstick pan, add the oil, onions and brown sugar. Cover and cook, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat.

In a large bowl, stir together the eggs and add cream and crumbled blue cheese. Slowly add the onions to the mixture and set aside while prepping the tart pan.

Butter or spray the bottom and sides of the tart pan.

Take out a phyllo sheet, brush butter on half of the sheet and then fold it width-wise against its self. Butter the top and lay it into the pan, allowing the ends to hang over the tart pan edge. Continue in the same manner for the other 3 sheets, overlapping the sheets.

Fill the tart shell with the onion/egg mixture. Fold the overhanging phyllo leaves onto the tart filling. Brush butter on the tops of the phyllo leaves.

Cover the tart pan loosely with foil. Bake in the oven at 375F for 45-50 minutes, taking the foil off the last 15 minutes so the top phyllo sheets brown.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for 8-10 minutes on a rack. Remove from tart pan and serve.

Share:

5 comments