Monster Truck Birthday Cake

Monster Truck Cake Boy Birthday

Hey! Hello. Hi :)

While all of you have been gorging on leftover halloween candy, making dentists see dollar signs with every bite, I have, unfortunately, not been doing any noshing. Nope, not watching my weight or anything either, I've been "dying" from the flu.

I put dying in quotes because it may sound a touch over-dramatic. Ok, maybe a whiff more than a touch but really let's not split hairs, the point is this is how I felt during this tortured moment in time. I remember being huddled over the toilet, feverish, delirious, gasping for air and muttering something about needing euthanasia legalized because I am done and want it over. No, I'm not a drama queen, I was just really hurting.

Currently, I am typing and snacking on a survival breakfast of dry corn-pops cereal. Still can't stomach much. So, I can report that I am on the mend and am glad words aren't written in stone. ahem.

During the weekend, before the plague came-a-knocking, I celebrated my son's birthday. I surprised him with a monster truck cake. He was expecting a Scooby Doo cake (which he requested and I'll show next post) but I knew he would love this idea and it was super easy to make. He was pretty excited since he stumbled upon monster trucks on youtube a short while ago.

I love making my kids happy. You should have seen his little bitty face. Makes a momma cry.

I chose a super easy cake recipe to make, a one-bowl in my mixer recipe. The cake was a bit on the sweeter side, for my preference, but knowing that, you can cut back 1/4 cup sugar if you please.

Assembly is easy. Cut one end of the cake to use as the ramp. Use chocolate icing to cover and of course, decorate with monster truck and cars!

Happy healthy weekend to you peeps!

...


Chocolate Cake
makes 1- 9x13 inch cake pan
1/2 cup hot water
4 - 1 oz squares semisweet chocolate
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
2-1/4 cup white flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
Combine the hot water and chocolate squares in a bowl. Mix and microwave, if needed to melt. Set aside too cool.

Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Scraping the sides, add eggs, one at a time until incorporated. Add the chocolate from above and mix until combined.
Add the flour, baking soda, salt, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix on low until blended.

Poured the batter into a prepared 9 x 13 cake pan, lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until toothpicks come out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes and completely on wire rack.

Recipe from: German Chocolate Cake, Kitchenaid Best-Loved Recipes

Share:

3 comments