Jerusalem Couscous with Cranberries and Hazelnuts

Jerusalem Couscous with cranberries and hazelnuts

"Israeli" or "Jerusalem" couscous (as is says on the package I purchased) is something I stumbled upon this summer. I was shopping and saw the package and immediately bought it. I've only been aquainted with the small granular couscous that you can buy at most grocery stores but I've never seen a bigger form of it until recently. I quite enjoy the bite of them, similar to pasta, and since they are bigger in size, they also coat well with all the flavors and seasoning you put in to make your dish.

As I stated in my last post... I'm embracing the fall and winter vegetables. I have quite a few pumpkins and squashes stored away in my basement and I'm trying coming up with different ways to use them. I always have dried cranberries at home (a fall staple!) and a wide variety of nuts.

This recipe is really tasty warm or even cooled. It even reheats well the next day. The couscous stands up well with the crunch of the hazelnuts and a nice kick of sweetness from the cranberries. Super easy to make and is great as a side dish or as a salad.

...

Jerusalem Couscous with Cranberries and Hazelnuts
serves 4

1 cup Jerusalem couscous
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cup peeled and diced pattypan squash
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped in halves
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped

Cook the couscous as per package instructions. Drain and set aside.

In a large nonstick pan, fry the garlic in a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil for one minute.

Toss in the squash and cook for 6-8 minutes over medium heat, until it lightly browns. Mix in the dried cranberries and hazelnuts. Remove from heat.

Stir in the couscous and 1 tbsp oil and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley and serve.

Share:

2 comments