Chocolate Almond Torte, Gluten-Free

Chocolate Almond Torte, Gluten-Free

If I pick out a birthday cake for myself, it would definitely be chocolate cake. I absolutely am a big fan of chocolate.

This is one of the cakes my hubby made for me for my birthday. He's always looking for ways to reduce white flour in recipes but I'm not usually fond of it. I find these cakes or other baked goods do not usually hold the same yum factor as their carb-ful white-floured counterpart.

(We don't have wheat allergies but my hubby likes the "lower carb" lifestyle so he's always looking forward to ways of using almond flour instead of white flour).

So, when he said that he made me a cake with almond flour, I wasn't very impressed. It's MY birthday, not his! I want the full flour, full sugar, full fat type of bad for you but tastes so good cake.

But, I was wrong. So. very. wrong.

This was an awesome cake. It had a moist fudge-like texture center and lots of chocolatey-tasting goodness. I had most of my family members also comment on how good it was.

Tsk, tsk, on me. I guess one should not judge a cake by it's lack of white flour.

...

Chocolate Almond Torte, Gluten-Free

7 ounces (200 grams) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
11 tablespoons (150 grams) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
4 large eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup (150 grams) white sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup (100 grams) finely ground toasted almonds or almond flour
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Set oven to 375F and prepare an 8 inch springform pan with parchment paper.

Melt the chopped chocolate and butter in a double broiler method or in the microwave. Set aside.

Separate the eggs yolks and place in a larger bowl. Set aside the egg whites. Cream the yolks with 1/2 cup of sugar until creamy, about 3-4 minutes. Pour the chocolate/butter mixture and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly. Fold in the almond flour.

Whisk the egg white until until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and remaining 1/4 cup sugar and whisk until stiff peak forms. Fold into the batter in two portions only until incorporated.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake has a few moist crumbs. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Remove from spring form pan and serve.

Recipe from: Chocolate Almond Torte from Joy of Baking

Share:

7 comments