Edmonton Litfest - Savouries

Edmonton City Hall

I mentioned yesterday that I was going to attend Litfest's Savouries Event.

It was held at the Kid's in the Hall Bistro at Edmonton's City Hall.

The event was packed and readings from four different writers were on schedule, along with appetizers inspired by their writings.

Edmonton Litfest - Speakers from the Savouries Event

Clockwise: Liane Faulder, Marusya Bociurkiw, Jennifer McLagen, Janice Wong.

I chuckled of the thought of dining in the dark, as Liane spoke of her dining experience in Paris and thought of my own mother as Lianne spoke of her's and their apple pie making event. Marusya made the crowd laugh with stories of her Ukrainian heritage, so much so that I was was craving pyroghies afterwords. She's a funny lady. Jennifer's fervor on the subject of fat made me nod my head in agreement so many times. I wanted to stand up and scream "YES" when she talked about bringing butter, lard and other delicious flavour back into our foods. I truly agree with her that fat has gotten a very bad rep. And Janice brought near tears to my eyes as she spoke of her food memories and tales of her parents from China to living in the Prairies.

I was looking forward to the event and I enjoyed it even more than I expected. I think it's so wonderful that Litfest came to pair the literary world and food together. Each speaker brought forth such wonderful readings. I was moved by many of their words. And to listen to them speak while enjoying appetizers and a nice glass of wine added so much more to the whole evening.

The appetizers were tasty and the recipes were found in their books. Olive tapenade, chipotle popcorn, pork belly, grilled tofu and pineapple & carrot cake.

I hope that Litfest brings more food and writing together next year, as I for sure will make it out and would highly recommend it.

---

Kid's In The Hall Bistro
1 Sir Winston Churchill Square
Edmonton, Alberta
T5J 2R7


Share:

3 comments