hummus & baked pita chips

hummus & baked pita chips

I've tried all sorts of hummus. I find some are too lemony in taste. Some too garlicky or not enough. Others, too much tahini and some just don't have the amount of salt I prefer. I tend to add more salt than stated in the below recipe.

I think I'm the only one who doesn't add oil to my hummus. Many recipes do but I figure the tahini has enough oils so I don't bother. The taste comes out fine and lasts just as long as other hummus.

Tahini is a sesame seed butter. Very popular in middle eastern cultures. You can find it in specialty stores or some local grocery stores and even in the health food aisle (though I find it a lot more expensive at the health food stores).

hummus

For those of you who like to cook your own chickpeas instead of using canned versions, I find that this recipe works just as well. Enjoy!

...

hummus
makes about 2 cups

1 - 19 oz can (540mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup tahini
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt or more to taste

Process all the above in a food processor until smooth. I prefer to then put it in the fridge for at least a couple of hours or overnight to enhance the flavors.

Garnish with toasted pine nuts or toasted chickpeas and cilantro, if you wish.

baked pita chips

Cut up pita circles into small triangles and place into a bowl. Mix up the pita chips with a light drizzle of oil and either salt or garlic salt.

Place pita chips onto baking sheet. Broil in the oven, for two minutes on each side until the pitas turn golden brown and crisp. Serve.

Serve.

Share:

2 comments