April 28, 2009

ham and cheddar muffins

ham cheddar muffins

Though I'd say I've grown to love sweets more and more, I find that I'm still a savoury type... especially for breakfast.  (I may prefer savoury, but I love chocolate, and really, it's in a category of it's own, in my opinion.)

I often feel that if I start my day with something sweet, then I'll be looking for more sugar all day long.  That's why I like savoury foods for breakfast, it helps me stave off the sugar tooth a little bit.  Or so I delusionally like to think.  

I've posted before how I like my crepes savoury and I love bacon and eggs for breakfast too.  So, when I stumbled upon a recipe to make savoury muffins, well, seemed right up my alley.  I adapted the recipe because I had a lot of ham left over from the night before.  They turned out really well but next time I'll have to try bacon.  drool.  


ham and cheddar muffins
makes 12 muffins

1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp chopped green onions
1.5 cups extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp honey
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup cooked ham, diced into small pieces

Stir together all-purpose and whole wheat flour, baking powder, soda, salt, onions and 1-1/4 cups cheese. Set aside.

Beat eggs until blended. Stir in buttermilk, honey and oil and ham. Add dry ingredients until moistened.

Spoon batter, three-fourths full, into prepared or paper lined muffin cups. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup cheese over the tops. Bake at 400F for 15-18 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean). Let cool on wire rack for 2 minutes and then turn out onto rack.

Recipe adapted from Cheddar-herb muffins, Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Baking.


Chris said...

What a great looking snack!

Court said...

These look lovely! I vary between wanting sweet vs. savory at breakfast time, but I have yet to make myself savory muffins. I will have to put that on my food "to do" list.

Related Posts with Thumbnails