chocolate chip mint ice cream

mint chocolate chip ice cream

Soooo, I haven't posted in like forever?!? hmmmmm.

Why? I have no idea. Why am I posting now? I have no idea. There's no rhyme or reason. It is what it is.

One thing I noticed on my long hiatus is that I kept refering back to my blog for recipes. It's a nice recipe "box" and though I haven't had much traffic around this little blog, I've been visiting it a lot. Plus, I miss taking pictures of my food. Doesn't that sound weird? Yeah, you sure don't hear THAT often.

So, I probably won't be posting as often as I used to but I will when I can.

And this chocolate chip mint ice cream? Too die for. A sweet minty delicous flavor and I'd lick my bowl to get every little flake of chocolate stuck to the side.

I've had a few people ask "why isn't it green!". I just don't see the need. But for those of you who prefer the green color when eating this ice cream, you may add a drop or two of green color dye when mixing.

...

chocolate chip mint ice cream
about 1 quart (1 liter)

1 cup (250 ml) 2% milk
3/4 cup (150 g) sugar
2 cups (500 ml) 18% milk fat cream
Pinch of salt
2 cups (80 g) lightly packed fresh mint leaves
5 large egg yolks
2 - 1 oz (225 g) semi-sweet chocolate squares, grated into flakes (I used a cheese grater)

Warm the milk, sugar, 1 cup (250 ml) of the cream, and salt in a small saucepan. Add the mint leaves and stir until they're immersed in the liquid. Cover, remove from the heat, and let steep at room temperature for 1 hour.

Strain the mint-infused mixture through a mesh strainer into a medium saucepan. Press the mint leaves to extract as much of the flavor as possible, then discard the mint leaves. Pour the remaining 1 cup (250 ml) heavy cream into the saucepan.

Rewarm (if needed) the mint-infused mixture. In a separate saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mint liquid into the egg yolks, whisking constantly.

Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens a bit. Remove from heat. Stir periodically until cool. Strain a second time.

Cover and chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator. Then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Add the chocolate flake to the ice cream maker in the last 5-10 minutes of freezing.

Adapted from: Fresh Mint Ice Cream>

Share:

0 comments