chocolate banana muffins



I really should make muffins more. I just never think of it. I'd probably make a loaf instead of muffins. I think it's because when I make muffins, I tend to over bake them and they turn out dry, which isn't very fun to eat... no matter how much butter you slather on them!

Muffins are great for a quick breakfast or a snack in the middle of the day. Especially these ones since they contain about 4 g of fiber per muffin. I also find that I'll buy a big batch of banana's and by the end of the week, they are brown and I staring at them wondering how I should use them up.

So, here's a good recipe but don't overbake them like I do :)

...

chocolate banana muffins
makes 12 muffins

1 egg
1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk
1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) vanilla
1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar
1 cup (250 mL ) mashed ripe banana, about 2 medium-size bananas

1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
1 cup (250 mL) whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup (175 mL) natural bran
1/4 cup (50 mL) cocoa powder
1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt

1/4 cup (50 mL) chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 425F (220C). Grease 12 muffin cups or use paper liners. In a bowl, whisk egg with oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir in sugar until dissolved, then banana.

In a large bowl, using a fork, stir flours with bran, cocoa, baking powder and soda, salt and nuts, if using. Make a well in centre of dry ingredients. Pour banana mixture into well and stir just until blended. Do not overmix. Stir in chocolate chips, if using. Spoon mixture into muffin cups. Bake in centre of 425F (220C) oven until a cake tester inserted into a muffin comes out clean, about 14 minutes.

Recipe from: chocolate-banana breakfast muffins, Chatelaine website

Share:

0 comments