iceberg salad with orange poppy seed dressing and pomegranate seeds




ICEBERG! DEAD AHEAD!
...
Happy New Year! Hope your holiday season was relaxing and fun!
Are you all tired of the constant eating that has occured during the holiday season? I know I am. I have been uncomfortably full one too many times during this merry eating season. So let's start the new year with a salad! Yay! Great start for those who have made holiday resolutions to lose some weight (and for me it's the Christmas eating pounds! tee hee).

I'm sure some of you are thinking a variety of mixed greens would be so much better but this is all I had in the refrigerator and I really wanted a salad. It's not often that I'm craving a salad but when I do, I'm gonna have it! Iceberg it is!

But, actually, it's kind of nice and refreshing with the iceberg. It's crispy and has a lot more moisture than other leafy greens. The orange poppy seed dressing also dressed the lettuce very well and complemented the crunchy sweetness of the pomegranates.



I was reminded how I love pomegranates. Peeling them to get all the seeds out, not so much fun but kind of relaxing. Well worth it though. It's such an interesting fruit. The color, the crunch, the seeds bursting with sweet juice, it's all around a great tasting experience.

I may just go pick up another one this week!

...

orange poppy seed dressing

1 tsp finely grated orange rind
2 Tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp white wine or sherry vinegar
1 tsp liquid honey
1/2 tsp poppy seeds
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
2 Tbsp vegetable oil

In a small bowl, whisk the oil into all the ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to coat.

Recipe: Green salad with Orange Poppy Seed Dressing, Holiday Celebrations: Canadian Living Fall 2007 Magazine.

Share:

0 comments