blueberry lemon muffins

lemon blueberry muffins

These are great for breakfast or a snack. I had some lemons kicking around and thought I'd give these muffins a try, though the original recipe called for oranges. But, I've never been one to follow a recipe exactly as written.

It got me thinking when that happened. I'm sure that as a young adult, when I was new to cooking and baking, I probably followed every recipe as written. But, I think with time and experience, I've gotten comfortable with my skills and don't usually flinch when I see that I don't have certain recipe ingredients.

It's gotten to the point that I will try new recipes all the time and my guest will be my guinea pigs. Books will say that you should really only make things you are comfortable with or have made over and over again -the tried, tested and true recipes. But, my guest and I will be sitting around the dinner table all wondering what the food tastes like.

Though there have been a few times I was left with a dud recipe. I think there as only been one dinner party where I can say that a dish was a total flop. Tasteless and boring. There was another time that I used soybeans (edamame) with the shells intact, thinking they would be like peas in a pod, but nope, they were certainly not. The shells are not really edible and I admit I was embarrassed that my guests had to shell each of those darn pods to eat them. A sit down dinner and everyones is using their fingers or mouths to open up the shells. Sigh. Forget napkins, I had to get wet naps out for everyone!

lemon blueberry muffins 2

But no worries, these muffins turned out swell.


...

blueberry lemon muffins
makes 12 muffins

3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
zest of one lemon
Juice of one lemon
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 cups frozen blueberries(do not thaw)

In a bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, lemon zest and juice, oil and vanilla.

In a second bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Take 2 tbsp of the flour mixture and mix it with the blueberries to coat them.

Add dry ingredients to the wet. Mix until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries.

Spoon mixture into prepared muffin tins, right to the top. Bake at 375F for 25 minutes. Cool on rack for 15 minutes and remove muffins from tins to cool completely.

Recipe adapted from: Blueberry Orange Muffins, Published in Edmonton Journal Newspaper.

Share:

2 comments