cornmeal blini



I don't really know why this is called a "blini". Looks like a pancake to me! According to my friendly online encylopedia, blini is supposed to be a thin pancake, similar to a crepe.

I think this cookbook must be wrong because these "blini's" are far from thin like a crepe. The batter was thick and there was no way I could make it thin and crepe like. Maybe I should write a note to the editor :)

We ate these for dinner one night. I made some savory stuff to eat my blinis pancakes with. I mixed up some onions, garlic, red peppers, bacon & corn in a thickened (with cornstarch) broth. It was good, but then, bacon could probably make brussel sprouts tasty.... well, almost.


The original recipe uses smoked salmon on top of these cornmeal blini's but I'm just not a smoked salmon type of gal. If you are, give it a try.


...

cornmeal blinimakes 24 pieces

1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
pinch pepper
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
1/4 cup corn kernals

whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, soda, salt & pepper.

In separate bowl whisk together buttermilk, egg yolk & butter. Pour over flour mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and corn. Stir just until flour is incorporated.

Heat skillet over medium heat. Use 1 tbsp batter for each corn cake and cook each side for about a minute until golden.

Recipe from: Cornmeal "Blini" with smoked salmon, The Complete Canadian Living Cookbook.

Share:

8 comments