raspberry chocolate chip cookies



Ok, I lied. I got tired of just eating the raspberries right off the branches. The problem is that within a week, we had so many raspberries that I couldn't keep up with them. The novelty wore off after chewing the 100th berry and 1000th time of picking seeds out of my teeth.

I had to do something with all these berries (I froze 4 bags of fresh berries already) and cookies seemed like a good alternative. You can freeze them too and eat them over time. But, when I scoured cookbooks or hit google search, I only found recipes that would use raspberry jams on top of cookies or raspberries in or atop of cakes. So I thought, I'd wing it and try my hand in making a cookie with fresh raspberries as part of the ingredients.

This is a chocolate chip cookie recipe that I modified to add raspberries to and the only real modification is that I added extra flour so that the dough wasn't too wet before baking. Refrigerating is also very important before baking so to firm up the dough.

I also do not sieve the raspberries to remove the seeds. I prefer to call it rustic cooking/baking versus the alternative, that being "lazy".

This experiment gave a definite raspberry tasting chocolate cookie. I made sure not to overbake to prevent dryness and the cookies came out decently moist. It's just a nice way to incorporate my abundance of raspberries.

I actually made a double batch and have 1/2 of them sitting in my freezer. I have also tried the defrosted ones and they are just as moist and delicious.

Wanna come over for coffee and cookies???



...

raspberry chocolate chip cookies
yield about 48 cookies.

1 cup margarine or butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup fresh raspberries

2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups flour
2/3 cups cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

2 cups mini chocolate chips

Beat butter with sugars until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add fresh raspberries and mix.

In separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt. Stir into buttered mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.

Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Drop by rounded teaspoon, about 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake 375F for 10 minutes. They are still very soft when you take them out of the oven but it will continue to cook on the baking sheet. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Let cool on pans on racks for 5 minutes and tranfer to racks to cool completely.

modified from : Best-Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies: Reverse Chocolate Chip Cookie Variation, The Complete Canadian Living Cookbook

Share:

6 comments