black bean burgers

black bean burgers

Every once in a while, I want a meatless burger. But finding a good one is hard. Vegetarian burgers are not all created equal, that's for sure. Plus, people want different things from their vegie burgers.

So, when I saw this recipe in Gourmet magazine, I was instantly drawn in. I had a huge bag of dry black beans in my cupboard. Cumin... yes, I likey a lot and it used some fresh herbs... score! My herb garden will get used!

I have to say, I loved this recipe. LOVED it. It is in my "list of recipes to make over and over". I have made it again since the first time. I've also made a variation, which I will post next time.

My only meh was that it wasn't very easy to form the burgers or flip them easily in the pan. The puree is very soft. But I will say that I licked my fingers clean after I formed them all, since there were no raw ingredients to get salmonella from. And, I ate more than one burger. Yes, it was that good. It tastes as good as it looks.

black bean burgers

...

black bean burgers
serves 4
2 - 14 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided (OR you can soak overnight and cook 1 cup dry beans, as I did)
3 tbsp mayonaisse
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs (I put some vegetable crackers through a food processor)
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano, crumbled
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
3 tbsp vegetable oil

Pulse one can of black beans in a food processor with the mayonnaise, bread crumbs, cumin, oregano and cayenne until a coarse puree forms. Transfer to a bowl and add cilantro and remaining beans. Form into 4 patties.

Cook burgers, in oil over medium high heat, until crisp and lightly browned, turning once for 5 mintues total. Serve on buns and top with sour cream and salsa.

Recipe & photo inspired from: Black-Bean Burgers, Gourmet Magazine, February 2009 issue.

Share:

4 comments