Edmonton Foodie Meetup #2 - black bean crostini's

black bean crostini's with sour cream and salsa


I attended the 2nd Edmonton Foodie Meetup. This time around, it was decided upon a potluck picnic in Dawson Park.

I was running a bit late, making up my crostini's as fast as I can. I was all set to go, did a quick final check of google maps and got myself and my tray of black bean crostini's in the car. I drove about 5 mintues when I heard a horrible sound. Yes, a bunch of my crostini's took a spill. They were apparantly very slippery on the big tray I had put them on. I was pissed.

So, I tried to drive around slowly, going off memory from seeing the map when I realized I was lost. It is not an easy place to find and I spent a lot of time driving around neighborhoods cursing the city, myself and the damn crostini's for taking a spill in the back of my car.

But I finally made it. I was glad to meetup again with my fellow food bloggers from the first Food Meetup and to meet new faces too. The downside, it was FREEZING. It's the end of June and I shivered the entire time. I was too cold to even take out my camera and take photos. But if you want to see pictures, visit some of my fellow bloggers sites here and here.

Everyone's food was wonderful and I think the crostini's went over well too.

People were very kind and we had some good laughs. I too am looking forward to the next meetup. Hopefully somewhere warmer, maybe a restaurant, because I get the smell of garlic and salsa filling my nose everytime I step into my dang car now. Who would have thought little crostini's could be more potent than those little car fresheners you hang onto your rearview mirror!!!

Once again, wonderful meeting all of you!

...

black bean crostini's
makes about 24 pieces.

2 - 14 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided (OR you can soak overnight and cook 1 cup dry beans, as I did)
3 tbsp mayonaisse
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs (I put some vegetable crackers through a food processor)
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano, crumbled
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro

1 baguette
oil
garlic

sour cream
salsa
fresh cilantro for garnish

Pulse one can of black beans in a food processor with the mayonnaise, bread crumbs, cumin, oregano and cayenne until a coarse puree forms. Transfer to a bowl and add cilantro and remaining beans. Set aside (or refrigerate) and prepare baguette.

Cut the baguette into roughly one inch thick slices. Place them onto baking sheet and brush them with oil. Broil in oven for about one minute or until brown. Take them out, rub the tops with a cut garlic clove. Flip crostini slices over, brush with oil and broil for a minute. Once again, brush with garlic.

For each crostini, spread a layer of black bean dip, spoon a tsp of sour cream and salsa and garnish with a cilantro leaf. Serve.

Recipe adapted from: Black-Bean Burgers, Gourmet Magazine, February 2009 issue.

Share:

9 comments