Spicy Pea Soup


Spicy Pea Soup

With the warm weather we had last week (I painted my toes & wore sandals for 2 days in a row!), my thoughts have been with spring and greenery.  My hubby has started some of my herbs indoors and I bought a basil plant recently too.  I am very much looking forward to a tasty palate of fresh greens and meals with light and crisp flavors.

I was in the mood for soup and I was reminded of my Spicy Butternut Squash Soup.  However, I wanted something light and spring appropriate. In my butternut squash soup, I had used red curry paste and this time I decided on green curry paste. I felt that the green chilies and lemongrass flavors would be a great complement the peas. You can find these curry pastes in the ethnic section of your grocery store.


Pea Soup with green curry paste

Spring may be shy, preferring to delay it's appearance but my meals sure don't have to be!

...



Green Curry Pea Soup
makes 4 servings

1 small onion, diced
1 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp green curry paste (This amount adds a decent kick of spice, start with 1/2 tbsp if you prefer less heat)
900 mL carton vegetable stock
4 cups frozen peas
Salt and pepper

In a large stockpot, add 1 tbsp oil and saute the onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes over medium heat.  Add the green curry paste and saute for 1 minutes to fragrance the onions and garlic.

Add the vegetable stock and frozen peas.  Mix and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer for another 5 minutes.

Using a stick blender, puree soup until evenly consistent in texture.

Serve with dollop of sour cream and/or croutons.

Share:

4 comments