3 Tier Fondant Covered Cake - my niece's baby shower cake

3 Tier Polka Dot Cake

My family prefers to host baby showers after the baby is born. This time I was hosting for my sister's newborn baby girl and I decided I wanted to make a cake, in addition to luncheon I was going to serve. However, I had a personal challenge, to make a 3 tier fondant cake.

I have made numerous 2 tier cakes before, such as this princess castle cake, but I really wanted to go for the 3rd tier this time. I had a worry of leaning tower of cake pisa since I don't use dowels or anything like that to affix the cake. Generally, I use cake recipes that are a bit heavier, like pound cakes, and so the layers usually stay put.

I decided on a marshmallow fondant to give the cake a more polished look. I was really nervous about using it again as I don't have a lot of experience with it. But I experimented more with it this time and the recipe is so fantastic and really quite easy to use. Once you get the hang of it, it's a total green light. As I told people before, I will probably never go back to basic butter cream to ice cakes unless it's a specific look I'm going for.

Marshmallow Fondant

Pink and white was the theme to the baby shower and the invites had variations of pink polka dots on them so I wanted to continue with that. Unfortunately, I realized I didn't have small circle cookie cutters so I used a melon baller to cut out the cute colored polka dots in variety of pink and white fondant. I affixed them in place with a little bit of butter cream and found a ribbon I liked from the local craft store. Simple but so pretty. The cake topper is a rollout cookie I cut into the letter E with white fondant also cut out with the same cookie cutter. I used a shish kabob wooden skewer to keep it upright and atop of the cake.

I have to admit, not to toot my own horn, but I feel like I really outdid myself. I was so surprised with the outcome and how well it turned out. I had so much fun doing it to and to see the end product turn out was such a good feeling. Family and friends all thought it was beautiful and I am so happy that I was able to add something memorable to commemorate the birth of my little niece.

Welcome to the world, little "E".


Share:

12 comments