Peanut Butter & Onion Soup

Peanut Butter & Onion Soup

I hear ya. What? Peanut Butter and ONIONS? Together? As a soup?

I'm not off my rocker. Though I had the same response when my hubby served it to me. "The kids LOVED it!" he said. I was a bit apprehensive.

My hubby hits the kitchen at times to try out various "different" recipes. Recipes that would not necessarily jump out at me from the "must try me!" category. Some are a major miss, some are in the meh category and others are a great surprise.

Peanut Soup

And I will tell you, go forth and try it. It's really good. Creamy, peanut-y flavored with a slight sweetness. The salty bacon garnish actually complements it. Yeah, I know, strange but it all works! It's like a Top Chef challenge and we won the quickfire!

Though, I have to tell you my hubby adapts EVERYTHING and isn't the greatest at using measuring spoons & cups. So, these are the measurements below, as best to accurate as I can pin him down on.

...


Peanut Butter & Onion Soup
makes 4-6 servings

4 rashers of bacon

1 medium sized onion,
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup of peanut butter
1.5 cups milk
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp sugar (adjust to preferred taste)
3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 tsp white pepper

dollop of sour cream as garnish, optional

Fry your bacon in a pot over medium heat. When cooked, remove the bacon, leaving the bacon fat and add the onions. Saute onions until soft and starting to brown. Add the broth, peanut butter, milk, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.

Reduce to simmer, and cook for about 15- 20 mintues more. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly so to puree with a handheld stick blender. Reheat if needed.

Garnish with sour cream and bacon that has been minced. Serve warm.

Recipe inspired from: Boiled Peanut Soup

Share:

4 comments