Popovers

Popovers

I've heard of the term "yorkshire pudding". I never understood why they call it a pudding when it's a baked good. But according to wiki, pudding is rich, fairly homogenous starch or dairy based desserts. I'm not sure how blood pudding fits into that description but I think I'll have to ask my English friend to decipher this mystery for me. The name "popovers" came later, when special muffin-like tins were used and the breads would "pop over".

I have never tasted a popover before but have wondered what they are like. I watched an Alton Brown episode (did I mention I love Alton Brown-perfect blend of geeky scientist who loves food!) and thought to myself that I should try them out. I didn't have a popover tin so I figured I'd just use a muffin tin. Then I forgot about it.

Fast forward. I'm shopping and see a popover tin on clearance. Suh-weet! Time to bake! (Tip: You don't need a popover tin. My friend said her mother used to make it in a square baking pan instead.)

Popover Diptych

One thing that is great about popovers is that they are SUPER easy to make. I mean, stupidly super easy. Throw the basic ingredients in a blender, whirl and pour into the popover cups. If you can't breath and chew gum at the same time, then it might not be that easy for you. I'm just saying.

Secondly, they POP over the tins by a lot and stay tall! The structure is amazing to me, that they stand up so high! And, some of them have weird shapes to them. They are like foreign looking bread from outer space and the inside is HOLLOW! I'm just amazed by it all. I mean, there is no baking powder or soda in the ingredients list!

Thirdly, they are tasty. I'll definitely be making these again!

...

Popovers
makes 6

1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup (4 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup whole milk, room temperature

Spray a 6-cup popover pan with non-stick oil. Set the oven to 400F.

Put the ingredients into a blender and process for 30 seconds. Pour the batter evenly, filling approximately 1/2 full.

Bake on the middle rack for 40 minutes and do not open the oven door to check.

Remove the popovers to a cooling rack. Poke the tops with a knife to allow steam to release. Serve warm.

Recipe from: Basic Popovers, Alton Brown on Foodnetwork.com

Share:

7 comments