garden fresh tomatoes

vine ripe tomatoes from the garden

There was frost outside this morning. f-r-o-s-t. I'm glad we picked a bunch of tomatoes this last week. I haven't checked on the few remaining ones today but I'm a bit nervous for them. It's the first thing I thought of this morning when I saw frost on the rooftops.

I'm feeling the need for comfort foods as of late. This always happens once the weather gets cooler. Thicker jackets and long sleeve shirts are in order. The flip flops are officially gone.

My youngest and I went out to the public library this morning and I picked up a bunch of fall/winter back issues of various food magazines. Lots of root vegetables, stews and soups will be in the making the next while. We plucked a pretty squash out of the garden this week that I look forward to sinking my teeth into it's warm, sweet flesh.

I bundled up my son before we were to leave the library. He said he didn't want his jacket but I reminded him it was cooler and there was frost this morning. A sweet little ole grandma stops and says "Yes, frost! My poor tomatoes."

Glad I'm not the only one with tomatoes on the mind.

Share:

1 comments