strawbery & raspbery cobbler

strawberry & raspberry cobblers

As I was sipping my morning coffee, I realized that we are in July. JULY! Where did the time go? July, then August, and then my kids are back in school and summer is over.

OVER!

It hardly feels like it began here at all! (I'm talking about the weather because really, it feels like my kids have been home for at least two months now, but that's an entire post of its own!)

Yes, we had one good week of weather but holy moly, it's been chilly the last while.

Wow, two months and summer is officially over. So, I guess we better enjoy it to the fullest. And if you are into cooking and baking, that means enjoying all the produce to it's fullest capacity.

The strawberries have been so good the last while. Oh so delicious! I bought a huge batch of them to make the these cobblers. I had my family over a short while ago and made individual ramekins instead of one large dish. There is something so lovely about individual ramekins! Glad I'm using them!

strawberry & raspberry cobbler

This was a pretty easy recipe, similar to a crisp. Unlike some of the cobbler recipes I've seen, where you make the dough, roll it out and cut it into circles to put on top of the fruit, this one is just spooned on top. I like that. I love pretty looking desserts but I'm not that interested in anything that requires a lot of steps. I will definitely be making different varieties of cobbler this summer season.

Enjoy your produce and summer!

...

strawberry & raspberry cobbler
serves 6

filling:
5 cups total of strawberries & raspberries, any ratio you prefer
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp sugar (I used splenda)

topping:
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar ( I used splenda)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
6 tbsp cold butter, cut into 1/2- inch pieces
1 tbsp sugar mixed with 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375F.

Filling:

Mix the fruit filling ingredients together. Spoon into 6 one cup ramekins. Place ramekins on baking sheet and into oven for 10 minutes.

Topping:

In a bowl, stir together buttermilk and vanilla. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add butter pieces. Mix on low until large, coarse crumbs appear, like the size of peas. Slowly pour in buttermilk mixture and mix until just combined.

Drop the dough by heaping spoonfuls onto hot fruit. Sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.

Bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes until fruit is bubbling and topping is browned (or at least until toothpick comes out clean). Transfer to rack and cool for 15 minutes before serving.

Adapted from: Fruit Cobbler, Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Baking.

Share:

4 comments