creamy corn polenta with leek

creamy corn polenta with leek

Polenta feels like such a fancy sounding dish but all it really is is boiled cornmeal.  According to my friendly wiki site, it's known around the world as "peasant" food but many high-end restauraunts have brought it back... moving it up some notches in "social status".  I personally have definitely seen it on restaurant menus before.

It's another dish I have never made or tasted before so I was excited to try it out.  I was at the grocery store earlier and had seen some fresh leek that I thought would be a great addition to the polenta.  How would I know this if I haven't tried polenta before, I'm not sure, but I will assure you it worked.  Great little side dish.  

My only annoyance is that this recipe makes A LOT of polenta.  It says it serves 4 but it must be for 4 hungry sumo wrestlers.  Either that or maybe I just prefer smaller side dish sizes but I was eating this polenta for days afterword!  I had no help from my kids, they wouldn't touch it - "what's that green stuff!" And the hubby just "didn't feel like it".  So, next time I make it, I'll half the recipe.

A tip:  I often use cornmeal, instead of flour, to prep pans for baking.  I grease pans and sprinkle some cornmeal so that it is easier to remove the baked goods.  Works great under pizza and in muffin tins.  Makes everything just pop out.

...

creamy corn polenta with leek
serves 4

3.5 cups chicken broth (use vegetable if you want it vegetarian)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp salt
1 cup cornmeal
3 cups corn kernals
1 tbsp butter

1 leek, chopped
1 tbps butter

Saute leek with butter, in a hot pan for several minutes until wilted.  Set aside.

Bring broth, cream & salt to a boil. Whisk in cornmeal, reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.

Add corn, increase heat & bring to a boil. Cook, stirring often, until creamy for about 15 mintues. Stir in butter, leek and season with salt & pepper. Serve.

adapted fromCreamy Corn Polenta, Bon Appetit May 2008 magazine.

Share:

2 comments