caramelized onions

caramelized onion breakfast
Toast with brie, egg over easy and caramelized onions.

...

I really like onions. There, I said it.

I think there are lots of folks who are grimacing right now. Folks like my father-in-law, for example, whose face crinkles up with disgust if you even mention the word. Onions, onions, onions! HA!

But, I can't help it, I think it's in my genes. My mother tells me that her father would eat onions like apples. Now, I'm not sure what kind of onions he grew (ones that would be less potent I'm guessing) or if he had some superhero power that enabled this, but my onion-loving gene is diluted down some in comparison to his.

I love the potent flavor of them when they are sliced thin in salads, or the mellow flavor and texture when cooked in a stirfries or my favorite, sweet and delicious when they are caramelized like in the above picture.

There is one thing I dislike about them though. It's when I have to cut into one. I will cry the most ugliest of cries, running away from the kitchen, blinded by the volatile gases that irritate my eyes. And no, a sharper knife, chewing gum or running the onions under water does not seem to help me at all. And, I refuse to wear goggles, thankyouverymuch. The only thing that helps, for me, is keeping the onions in the refrigerator beforehand and then cutting them quickly while they are still cold. Works like a charm.

...

caramelized onions

Choose any onions, be it yellow, white or red. Aim for one onion per person per serving. They cook down in size considerably.

Remove the outer onion skin and ends and slice the onion in half and then into thin strips.

Pour enough oil to at least coat the bottom of the non-stick skillet. Heat the skillet on high heat and add the onions all at once, stirring to evenly coat with oil. Reduce the heat to medium low. Pile them high if there is a lot, as they do cook down considerably.

Cook and mix the onions about every 8 to 10 minutes. Add more oil if needed (if onions appear to be burning). After 25 to 30 minutes, the onion will turn a a golden brown. Remove from heat and serve.

Share:

6 comments