Beet and Apple Salad

Beet & Apple Salad

What better way to start a new year than with healthier eating? I know many people will do cleanses or start a diet but I rather try to incorporate more vegetables and fruits which hopefully replaces some of the not-so-healthy-foods.

I do admit to being a total junkfood-aholic. I have a love for chocolate that will move mountains, or at least move my hubby to retrieve the chocolate that I asked him to hide in the first place. And let me tell you, that is no small task :)

I find that incorporating more vegetables and fruits into meals isn't as easy as one thinks. It takes time and preparation. Washing lettuce, peeling and chopping vegetables is time consuming and laborious. I have often had my fresh fruits and vegetables go bad before I was able to use them. What a waste.

But I have found a few shortcuts. My last post, I made spicy butternut squash soup and I used frozen cooked and diced butternut squash that I found in the freezer section of my grocery store. Sure, fresh is always best, but if it comes down to whether or not you incorporate fruits and vegetables in your diet or not, I'd rather take my shortcuts.

Beet and apple Salad

This salad was made with canned beets that were already cooked and sliced. Cooking and peeling my own beets just wouldn't happen on a weeknight or even some weekends. This way, I made and ate a great salad versus not at all. Would it taste better with fresh beets? Probably, but I'm ok with the trade-off.

I regularly buy pre-washed salad greens. Sometimes I buy those mini-carrots that are already pre-peeled so I can quickly and easily give my kids healthier snacks. My freezer is stocked with frozen blueberries, raspberries, peas and corn.

Maybe I'm just tired by winter of all summer/fall harvest & preparation of fresh fruits and vegetables from our yard and garden. Or it's just the slow down pace of winter that has me wanting to be a couch potato versus peeling potatoes in the kitchen. Whatever the reasons, I'm grateful for the choices.

...





Beet and Apple Salad
serves 6-8

2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil

4 cans (14 oz) cooked & sliced beets, drained,
2 apples, cored & cut into large matchsticks

2 tbsp mint, chopped

Mix together the first 5 ingredients. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the beets and apples. Pour the salad dressing in and combine. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

Garnish with mint when ready to serve.

Share:

0 comments