Mexican Style Salad or Chunky Dip

Mexican Style Fiesta Salad or Dip

I was looking at the dried beans in my pantry the other day. They were looking sad. Sad because I haven't used them in a while. I try to incorporate more beans and lentils in my meals but I don't often get around to it. Dry beans need to be soaked and cooked and I don't always remember to do it until I need it. Much like frozen meat that has to be defrosted. Canned beans to the rescue!

It was one of those times I was getting cravings for something fresh. Whether it be a salad with a tangy dressing or a piece of sweet watermelon, I am always looking for something that gets my taste buds satisfied and I remembered this recipe which contained beans too.

I also like when a dish can do double duty. I've served this dish as a salad side or as a chunky dip alongside tortillas for scooping. It's great both ways.

But, now I'm soaking a batch of beans to use. I will whittle down my pantry of dried beans.

...


Mexican Style Salad or Chunky Dip

1/2 cup ranch dressing
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 cup whole kernel corn, fresh or frozen
1 can (19 oz) black beans, drained or 2-1/4 cups cooked black beans
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1 cup chopped red pepper
1/2 cup chopped cilantro, optional

Mix together ranch dressing, cumin and chili powder. Set aside.

Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. Stir in the dressing mix. Serve as a salad or as a chunky dip with tortillas.


Recipe adapted from: Mexican Salad

Share:

5 comments