Pomegranate Gelato

pomegranate gelato

Several months ago I received an email from POM Wonderful asking if I would like free samples of their pomegranate juice. I quite love pomegranates but I have never bought the juice before.

Their website has many delicious looking recipes and as soon as I saw the gelato recipe, I knew I had to try it. (Though, it seems to have disappeared on their webpage since I last looked. Good thing I got the recipe written down already!)

Pomegranates are such interesting looking fruit. I can vividly remember the first time my parents brought one home for us to enjoy. We all sat around the table wondering what it looked like inside. Bigger than an orange, with hundreds of little arils surrounded by the white pith inside. Each little aril has a seed inside too. Peeling and getting out all the little arils can be a lot of work, I'm not sure if there is an easier way to do it, but I think it's definitely worth all the work. Be careful, the juice does stain!

pomegranate

Since I had the juice already, I didn't have to do the hard work of getting it from a pomegranate. Even better! I had not used my ice cream maker in quite a while so I was very happy to get it out. It was a simple recipe that yielded delicious results. Tangy sweet. Not a bad way to enjoy a serving of fruit and dairy, if you ask me.

...

Pomegranate Gelato

2 cups POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix sugar, cornstarch and 2 cups pomegranate juice into a saucepan.

Add milk to combine.

Heat over low heat, about 10-12 minutes, to allow cornstarch to thicken.

Remove from heat. Add vanilla extract.

Allow to cool. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 8 hours, preferably overnight.

Make the gelato in a ice cream maker, according to manufacturer's directions.

Recipe adapted from: POM Wonderful

Share:

5 comments