mushroom cheddar souffles

mushroom cheddar souffles


I can spend lots of time in a kitchenware store. Looking at plates, different kitchen gadgets and tables linens. So many different colors and shapes, it's really hard to not pick up things every time you go. However, I have a very practical side to me (and frugal side) and I often think to myself... "not more things to clutter and take up space in my kitchen cabinets and drawers". I try to be very bare bones but every once in a while, I say forgetaboutit.

Like a couple of months ago when I bought the above ramekins. I thought of all the things I can make in them and at 2 for a $1 at the ever so popular dollar store, that's crazy cheap, how can you not buy them! Before, my practical side would let me bypass them at previous visits, telling me "are you really going to use them?" But this time, that voice must have been squashed because I bought six of them... set me out a whole three dollars. Crazy I know.

The real crazy part is that I've never made a souffle before.  Never!  How can that be?  Maybe it's because I've never had ramekins before. Yeah... that's probably it, huh?  tee hee.  

I opened up a magazine and there was a recipe, screaming out my name, for easy souffles.   Anything that says easy, when you have never made it before, is a big ole bonus.  Plus, those ramekins were chattering away in my kitchen cabinets for a couple of months, asking to be used.  Or maybe it was my practical conscious, with a smug voice, saying "uh huh... knew you wouldn't use them".

They were pretty easy to make.  AND tasty.  I quite enjoyed them but unfortunately, my poor little souffles dropped.  I pulled them out of the oven, they were proudly standing up high.  Then I ran into the other room to get my camera and the minute it took to get back, well, poof... deflated.

But, I couldn't care less... I used my ramekins.  The question now is if they will come out again or will they become one hit wonders?  

...

mushroom cheddar souffles
makes 6 ramekins

6 tbsp butter
2 cups diced mushrooms
salt and pepper
8 tsp flour
1.5 cups milk
4 eggs, separated
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp chopped young green onions

In skillet, heat 2 tbsp of butter over medium-high and saute mushrooms. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and continue to cook until golden and no liquid remains, about 5 minutes.

In a saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat and stir in flour. Whisk and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk and a pinch of salt and pepper, allow to boil and thicken for about 3 minutes. Take off heat.

Whisk in egg yolks and let stand for 10 minutes.

Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold in half into cooled egg yolk mixture. Fold in remaining half. Fold in mushrooms, cheese and green onions.

Divide between 6 greased ramekins. Set ramekins into a baking dish and pour enough hot water into dish to come up halfway up the sides of ramekins. Bake in 400F for about 25 mintues, until golden brown, puffed and center is set.

Adapted from: Easy mushroom swiss souffles, Canadian Living magazine, February 2009 issue.

Share:

4 comments