ham and cheddar muffins

ham cheddar muffins

Though I'd say I've grown to love sweets more and more, I find that I'm still a savoury type... especially for breakfast.  (I may prefer savoury, but I love chocolate, and really, it's in a category of it's own, in my opinion.)

I often feel that if I start my day with something sweet, then I'll be looking for more sugar all day long.  That's why I like savoury foods for breakfast, it helps me stave off the sugar tooth a little bit.  Or so I delusionally like to think.  

I've posted before how I like my crepes savoury and I love bacon and eggs for breakfast too.  So, when I stumbled upon a recipe to make savoury muffins, well, seemed right up my alley.  I adapted the recipe because I had a lot of ham left over from the night before.  They turned out really well but next time I'll have to try bacon.  drool.  

...

ham and cheddar muffins
makes 12 muffins

1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp chopped green onions
1.5 cups extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp honey
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup cooked ham, diced into small pieces

Stir together all-purpose and whole wheat flour, baking powder, soda, salt, onions and 1-1/4 cups cheese. Set aside.

Beat eggs until blended. Stir in buttermilk, honey and oil and ham. Add dry ingredients until moistened.

Spoon batter, three-fourths full, into prepared or paper lined muffin cups. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup cheese over the tops. Bake at 400F for 15-18 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean). Let cool on wire rack for 2 minutes and then turn out onto rack.

Recipe adapted from Cheddar-herb muffins, Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Baking.

Share:

2 comments