banana pecan bars with chocolate chips

Banana pecan bars with chocolate chips


Sometimes when my hubby comes home from work, I'll tell him I had a great shoot. There might be a crack about my models being cooperative or maybe only Blue Steel? Ferrari? Le Tigra? looks were being given. Of course, the subjects of my photography is food and he's merely poking fun but I do enjoy shooting still life.  

Ah, the life of a food blogger.  There are some quirks to it.

My children never question me about taking pictures of food, they are quite used to it.  They, along with my hubby, have even helped me by being my lighting assistants, especially if I'm trying to be more creative.  It's like a family affair.  My kids are pretty patient, having to wait to have goodies until after I'm done taking pictures.  And, it's usually only one person who gets the prettied up plate (the one used for photographing) while others get food without mint garnishes :)  As a food blogger, I sometimes eat food that has cooled down since it takes some time to set up and getting the right picture.  

I don't have too many family and friends knowing about my food blog, I'm a bit shy about it.  I have let a few people know about it over time, all with positive feedback.  I'd say the majority I've told do not follow my blog, and that's ok, I totally get it's not everyone's shtick.  The few who do know about it, sometimes when I have them over for dinner, they will start to spoon some food on their plates, then stop and gasp "do you need to take a picture of this!".  I always chuckle.  How considerate of them to think of me and my hobby.  I don't always take pictures of everything I make, and if I do, I try to do it preferably before guests arrive because it's just easier that way.  

How about you fellow food bloggers?  Are you reserved about your food blog or have you let everyone in your life know about it?

...

Banana pecan bars with chocolate chips

These banana pecan bars are moist and chocolatey good without being too sweet.  I brought them over to a friend's house and they were a hit.  However, since they were pretty moist (which is a good thing), it makes them more crumbly so it really should be given out on a  plate with a fork.  These were more cake-like, not as firm as something you can grab and eat over a napkin, as I assume the term "bars" implies.  

...

banana pecan bars
makes about 18 bars

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
5 ripe bananas, mashed
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Beat sugar and butter together at medium speed until creamy. Add bananas, egg and vanilla until well blended.

Combine flour, baking powder and soda, and salt in medium bowl. Add this to to banana mixture until well blended. Stir in pecans and chocolate chips.

Divide batter in half. Stir cocoa into one half. Spread chocolate batter into 9x13 prepared pan. Top with plain batter. Swirl with knife.

Bake for 30-35 minutes until done at 350F. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.

Recipe adapted from: Cocoa Bottom Banana Pecan Bars. KitchenAid Best-Loved Recipes.

Share:

7 comments