Perennials in the garden

Rhubarb plant
(Rhubarb)

Not sure why it is, but every year at this time, I find it's always a bit hard for me to blog.  Maybe it's because I'm tired of cooking during the long winter which leads to a lull of activity in the kitchen.  Spring also tends to get busy with getting outside in the warmer weather and the urge to spring clean the house and the yard.

Went outside today and I'm starting to get a little more excited.  I didn't even realize all that has been sprouting up around my yard.  We have many perennials in our yard and I love it because they come back on their own every year, the ultimate low maintenance gardening.

Horseradish & Chives
(Horseradish and Chives)

Our rhubarb has gotten pretty tall already.  I read that it is good to chop away 1/2 the rhubarb bushel and plant it elsewhere every couple of years.  Something about giving it more room to continue to grow, so hubby did that last year for me.

I admit, I don't do much with the horseradish myself, though my hubby grated some one year for his food.  I think this might be the year I actually do something with it!  Plus, I love my chives.  So good in dips or on eggs in the morning.

Raspberry bushes
(Raspberry bush)

We have apples trees, 2 varieties of cherries, couple of honeyberry bushes, small bushel of bluebberries and strawberry plants but my absolute favorite is the raspberries.  I always look forward to picking them every year.  We moved a bunch of the little raspberry bushes to new locations in the yard last year in hopes they would spread more and we'll have a large bumper crop. Looks to have taken well!  Yippee to making plenty of raspberry galettes this year!


Share:

0 comments