Coconut Macaroons - low carb version

Low Carb Coconut Macaroons

I've been low carb eating as of late. It's my version of a new year's resolution cleanse diet, though I'm looking to continue on with it.

If you have read or heard of Good Calories, Bad Calories, which I call my hubby's "bible", then you might know Gary Taubes has a new book called Why We Get Fat. He is a scientific writer and in the first book compiled all sorts of research showing "Obesity is caused... not by the quantity of calories you eat but by the quality." And in the followup novel writes that "...certain kinds of carbohydrates—not fats and not simply excess calories—have led to our current obesity epidemic." The second novel is an easier read, since the first one is compiled with a lot of research data. (Quotes from Gary Taubes website)

Coconut Macaroons low carb

Whether you are interested in the low carbohydrate lifestyle or not, these are very good reads. I foraged into the low carb world very seriously at one time and I will tell you it worked for me. As I mentioned earlier, I am currently low carbing but with time will gradually return to a more modified version. I can't give up cake, cookies, fresh bread and other delicious carb-ful goodies but I can limit them and more importantly work on having the bulk of my meals contain little to no carbohydrates. Carb-filled foods will be my "sometimes" treat (hopefully!).

This is where my coconut macaroons come in. I wanted something sweet and this fit the bill. I broke down the nutritional values, based on the values input into the USDA library. If you are against using sweeteners, then this recipe is not for you.

Happy low-carb eating!




...


Coconut Macaroons
makes 15 cookies

3 egg whites
1/3 cup splenda granulated sweetener
1/2 tsp vanilla
1.5 cups unsweetened medium shredded coconut

Whip the egg whites, on medium-high speed, until fluffy. Slowly add the splenda sweetener and continue to whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. (My test is if you can hold the bowl upside down without any egg whites moving and coming out, then you are good to go)

Add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and the coconut to the bowl. Gently fold until incorporated.

Onto parchment-lined baking sheet, add spoonfuls for the coconut mix.

Bake for 12-14 minutes at 350F, until lightly golden on top. Remove from oven and cool.

...


Share:

0 comments