Pavlovas: sugar free, gluten free

Pavlovas Diptych

I have always been nervous with egg whites. What if I don't beat enough? What if I beat too much? 8 minutes? 10 minutes? Is 12 too much??? But then I realized that I'm fussing too much. Don't get stuck in the "shades of grey" business. Trust your initial instinct and then move on.

Pavlovas1

Several weeks ago, I was in the mood for something light and sugar free. Never having tried to substitute Splenda for sugar in a pavlova, I thought I'd give it a whirl.

But, I made a boo-boo with this recipe. I forgot to reduce the temperature when I put the pavlovas in the oven. Then, I walked away and when I returned, peeps, I tell you, it broke my heart to have baked browned and dry pavlovas. Especially after all the egg white nervousness.

Pavlovas2

However, even being browned and dried, they were still good. I'll have to try it again real soon.

...


Pavlovas
makes 4 individual or one large pavlova

4 large egg whites, room temperature
Pinch of salt
1 cup granulated splenda
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon or vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Place the egg white and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk on medium-high for 10 minutes. Continue to beat and slowly add splenda for 2-4 minutes or until stiff peaks form.

Sprinkle in the cornstarch, lemon juice and extract. Whisk until just combined.

Spread the meringue onto a parchment covered baking sheet. Either make one large circular pavlova or 4 individual sized ones.

Place into the center of the oven. Reduce temperature to 250F and bake for approximately 1 hour or until the exterior looks dry.

Turn off the oven and allow the pavlovas to cool in the oven for 1-2 hours.

Serve with your favorite toppings.

Share:

2 comments