Cheesy Squash Scones

Double Cheese and Squash Scones

In the last two weeks I have learned that there are a few things that I know for sure.

One: Working tastebuds are crucial, especially for a person who has a food blog and likes to eat. Apparently, I developed scarlet fever along with my strep throat. My tongue is still not back to normal. I will tell you, life is miserable with delinquent tastebuds. I keep trying to taste everything, hoping that it will eventually start working, but I'm fooling myself. I've been like a eager puppy dog, licking and chewing everything in sight. My salt and sour buds seem to be on high alert while my sugar buds have gone MIA. Everything tastes off. It is cruel and unusual punishment.

Two: I need to get dressed up more and get out and have a good time. Hubby had his work Christmas party this weekend and I tell you, it was so very good. I am loving getting all gussied up! I've never been a girlie-girl (I was a tomboy when I was younger) but I think my time has arrived. I need to get more skirts and dresses!

Three: I can't make scones. Yes, the picture looks pretty but they turned into dense pucks. I just don't understand. I've made scones twice and both times, I've hosted Hockey Night in Canada. My hubby has stated that I leave the scone making to him. They were tasty, just really "hearty" in texture :)

Can anyone help a girl out? Do you have some tips or tricks to making scones fluffy and flaky?

...

Cheesy Squash Scones
makes 8 scones

3-1/2 cups white flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

1/2 cup squash puree
3/4 cup milk

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, pepper, parmeson and cheddar. Mix until blended and make well in the center.

In a separate bowl, mix together the puree and milk. Pour into the well of the dry ingredients. Knead only until all incorporated together.

Divide the dough into two. Pat into 2 flat circles, approximately 6 inches wide and at least 1/2 inch tall onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cut each flat circle of dough into 4 segments. Brush the tops with some extra milk.

Bake at 400F for 30 minutes until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove from oven, allow to cool on the pan over a wire rack. Serve warm.

Share:

5 comments