Blueberry Cheesecake

Blueberry Cheesecake

I feel like there has a lot of celebrating, eating cake or cookies and gaining a few pounds alongside it all.

At a time when signs seem to be creeping up around the neighborhood of "Bootcamps! Get Bikini-Ready Fast" and people are talking about eating a lot of salad and dieting, I'm feeling like a bit of an outcast with my cheesecake and flourless chocolate cakes.

I recently had a conversation with friends about eating dessert after dinner. Some friends have memories of always having a little something after each dinner. My father wasn't a huge fan of dessert and sweet things (though, that has changed) so we used to keep cakes and pies for get-togethers and celebrations. I pretty much do the same now (though we entertain a lot and go to many get-togethers). Except, my hubby usually wants something sweet, so he'll dip into the ice cream and I often cave in too because !gosh-darn-it!, it's sugary-fatty goodness - how can one say no?!!

Either way, cake and desserts are always welcome. Especially cheesecake, one of my hubby's favorites. For his birthday/father's day, we had family over and enjoyed this colorful cake. I found it easy to make and I LOVE blueberries, though you could substitute other fruits or berries of your choice, if you prefer.

I guess next week, I'll get into salads and bootcamp business.

Or not.

Maybe I should just put up signs and directions to my house next to the Bootcamp signs: "Cheesecakes, Brownies and Tarts, OH MY!" Because, dessert always tastes better shared. It's true.

nom nom, munch munch.

...

Blueberry Cheesecake
9 inch cake

1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup graham crumbs
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup butter, melted

2-1/2 pkgs cream cheese, room temperature (*cream cheese pkg sizes are 250g each)
3/4 cup sour cream, room temperature
2 eggs, lightly beaten at at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries for the top (optional)

Place the blueberries and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Mush the blueberries slightly and simmer for about 10 minutes until the sugar is all dissolved and the mixture has thickened up a bit. Remove from heat and set aside.

Make the cheesecake base by mixing together the graham crumbs, almond flour and butter until mixed. Line and grease a 9 inch springform pan with parchment paper and press the crumb mixture at the bottom uniformly. Place into the refrigerator to cool.

To make the filling, beat together the cream cheese, sour cream, eggs, sugar and vanilla extract. Mix in the cooled blueberry mixture from above. Pour the filling onto the crumb bottom, in the springform pan. Top with more fresh or frozen blueberries.

Bake at 300F for about 1 hour. Remove from heat and cool. Refrigerate and serve cold.

Recipe adapted from: blueberry swirl cheesecake, donna hay modern classics 2.

Share:

2 comments