Vegetable Samosa Pie

Vegetable Samosa Pie

I remember walking past the Khazana Restaurant everyday after work. The smells were so intoxicating and my mouth would water everytime, much like Pavlov's dog. Didn't help that I was pregnant at the time and this would just add more fuel to the constant Indian food cravings I had.

I still love Indian food. Curries, tandoori and other wonderfully spiced dishes. I only wish I could make Indian food as good at home as in the restaurants but alas, I can't even begin to decipher all the assorted spices that go into making all the wonderful dishes.

I found this Samosa pie and thought it turned out well. The crust was really good but not the same as the deep fried version. And the filling did very much remind me of a samosa filling however I felt it was missing a certain spice. Coriander? Fenugreek? Cardamom? Fennel powder? Cloves? Not sure. I guess I'll have to try adding something else next time and see how it turns out.

...


Vegetable Samosa Pie

makes a 9-inch pie - serveing 6

crust:
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
6-10 tbsp water

filling:
1-1/2 tsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced

1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cumin

1 cup frozen peas
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tsp sugar

5 medium (1-1/4 lb) boiled potatoes, peeled, quartered & slightly mashed.
salt and pepper, to taste


Mix together the flours and salt for the crust. Stir in the oil and mix. Add water, 1 tbsp at a time, until a dough forms. Shape into a ball, cover with a damp cloth and set aside.

Heat oil in a pan and saute onion, carrot and garlic for 5 minutes. Move the mixture to the side of the pan and add the mustard and curry powder, ginger and cumin. Toast for about 30 seconds. Stir in the peas, broth and sugar. Take off heat and combine with the potatoes. Season to desired taste with salt and pepper and fill a 9 inch pie pan. Set aside.

Roll the pie dough into a circle on a floured surface. Cover the filling, pressing down and trimming any excess dough. Cut an X into the center if the dough to allow steam escape.

Bake at 375F for 45 minutes until crust is golden. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.

Recipe adapted from: Indian Samosa Casserole,Vegetarian Times, January 2010 Magazine

Share:

4 comments